Halloween is quickly approaching and it is becoming more and more popular in Australia. Halloween was never a “thing” here when I was growing up but now it’s advertised whenever you enter a department store. Most parents want to embrace the Halloween fun, but feel guilty about allowing their children to indulge in lollies and chocolate. I have been a bit of a mean mum in the past and not let my little ones get involved; I just don’t like lollies and I don’t like my kids having endless access to them, they’ve never been part of their life. This year though, with our Princess P at school now and being surrounded by all the hype, I do feel al little guilty of her missing out on the fun of dressing up and just being involved.
So this year, I’ve partnered up with Philips Sonicare for Kids and pledging for a Healthy (but fun) Halloween movement and taking on halloween guilt free. I want to focus on the positive things that the day can bring like spending time together as a family. We all want to encourage our children to have a healthier Halloween by making healthy choices. Philips Sonicare is helping parents take the guilt out of the day with top tips and expert advice on how to have a healthier Halloween. Philips Sonicare is a parents’ partner in oral health and helps put kids on the right oral health path.
Here are my top 5 tips for a healthy Halloween:
1. Focus on dressing up, costumes, socialising and having fun with music and crafts!
2. Don’t go around the whole neighbourhood; we will just take our children to only a few houses for trick-or-treating, then move onto the fun above in point 1.
3. Steer the focus away from greedily collecting lollies to handing out some of your home made healthy treat they swap the rest for a toy. I know that changes it to another “thing” but as a health conscious parent I’m more than happy to trade for something else they might like. I’ve also know others that have bought the sweets back off the child, swapping the treats for some coins for them to save. It’s all up to you where you want to take that… others might just keep it to spread it out for the child to have a small piece every now and then. You get the idea.
4. Bribe them; haha yes I said it. Get your children to eat a big healthy meal before they are aloud out trick or treating or even before they eat each treat, they must eat a veggie, that sounds pretty good to me! haha.
5. Help your kids ease into a proper oral health routine with the Philips Sonicare Kids toothbrush; this amazing electric toothbrush is a winner with my kids. It’s great to slowly increase the brushing time over 90 days until reaching the ‘dentist-recommended’ 2 minutes to help instil healthy habits naturally. Philips' has a fantastic cash back offer, you can received $30 cash back on your Sonicare for Kids purchases at the moment. Go here to find out more.
What are your tips for a healthy halloween??? Be sure to join in the fun by sharing your pics on social media with hashtags #PhilipsSonicareForKids #PhilipsHealthyHalloween