Being on the GAPS journey, its all about getting all that good, juicy gelatine and bone marrow into you to heal the gut lining. This means lots of slow cooked meals and stews. A staple of ours is Osso Bucco, its really simple and super tasty and you can make heaps at a time and freeze it down in meal portions for when your on the go or don't have time to cook.
This recipe is a really hearty meal for the whole family full of good quality, stable fats, protein and the super nourishing addition of the bone marrow and broth. Eat up, your gut will love you for it!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 90 - 120mins
Servings: Serves 4-6
2 brown onions, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, diced finely
4 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/3 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 sprig of oregano
1 sprig thyme
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup bone broth
1.5kg Osso Bucco beef
2 cups of pureed tomatoes
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
2. In a large deep baking dish place coconut oil, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and herbs and give it a stir to combine. Lay the osso bucco beef over the top of the vegetable mix and then pore in the tomatoes, bone broth, natvia, apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper. The liquid should cover the meat.
3. Cover with a lid and cook for 1 ½ - 2 hours or until the meat is very tender and falling off the bone. Once this is happening push the bone marrow from the bones into the dish and remove the bones and discard. Give everything a big stir to combine all flavours.
4. Serve with sweet potato mash, rice/quinoa or simple mixed veggies
Tips and Tricks
* If you would like a thicker sauce and you can eat corn then just add a little corn flour and stir through until thickened.