What are Antioxidants??
Antioxidants are substances that delay the oxidation process. When our body cells use oxygen, they naturally produce free radicals which can cause damage. These oxygen free radicals form during normal metabolism and through external factors such as x-rays, chemicals, ultra-violet radiation and pollution.
Antioxidants are the little scavengers that head down into your body and pick up the pieces by preventing and repairing the damage that is taking place all the time. Antioxidants enhance your immune defence and fight all the scary diseases that are contributed to by oxitative damage including cancer, heart disease, macular degeneration, and diabetes. It is a real medicine food! Most antioxidants we consume are in plant foods so eat up!
Why is our antioxidant hit mix so good?
- Blueberries are full of flavenoids, vitamins, antioxidants, proanthocyanidin, minerals and fiber.
- Coconut water is full of electrolytes and unbelievably hydrating.
- Strawberries are full of phytonutrients and antioxidants, they are packed with vitamin C and also an excellent source of vitamin K, manganese, folic acid, potassium, riboflavon, vitamin B5, copper, magnesium, and omega 3 fatty acids.
- Rasberries are loaded with vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber. Contains strong antioxidants such as Vitamin C, quercetin and gallic acid. Has anti cancer properties.
- Goji berries contain 18 kinds of amino acids and contain all 8 essential amino acids. They also contain up to 21 trace minerals (the most powerful ones being zinc, iron, copper, calcium, germanium, selenium, and phosphorus)! Goji berries are the richest source of carotenoids, including beta-carotene (more beta carotene than carrots), of all known foods or plants on earth! They contain 500 times the amount of vitamin C, by weight, than oranges. Goji berries also contain vitamins B1, B2, B6, and vitamin E. Buy it here.
- Raw Macqui Berry powder has the highest antioxidant quantity of any fruit. Maqui is reported to stimulate weight loss, delays the ageing process and detoxifies and cleanses the body. Research is also showing that it’s a powerful anti-inflammatory and contains high levels of polyphenols and anthocyanins. Buy it Here.
- Chia seeds contain essential minerals, phosphorous, manganese, calcium, potassium, sodium. Also contains high amounts of Omega 3’s and 6’s. Buy it here.
- 3 cups coconut water
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen rasberries
- 1 Tbls macqui berry powder
- 1 Tpls goji berries
- 1 Tbls chia seeds
Throw it all in a high powered food processor or blender like a Vita-mix and wizz until all ingredients are smooth. Enjoy as a refreshing morning smoothie and fill the left overs into icey pole molds and put in the freezer to set to make the untimate antioxidant pop. Your kids will love them… Mine did!