I have been meaning to make up a yummy sugar free sushi recipe for a while now but find it really hard to find a good organic brown rice that sticks and holds together nicely. All the brown rice I have used is too dry and then once you roll up the sushi it all falls apart and you cant enjoy it. Last week I found what I have been looking for, and oh man does it taste amazing! Organic Brown Koshihikari Rice from Honest to Goodness. Honest to goodness is a one stop organic shop for grains, flours, nuts, dried fruits, the most amazing medjool dates, natural soaps, pantry staples, the list goes on and on… They have it all! Honest to Goodness‘s Organic Brown Koshihikari Rice a new Aussie grown, sustainable short grain rice.
Why make Brown rice sushi with Honest to Goodness’s Organic Brown Koshihikari Rice?
It is the perfect premium short grain rice with all of the added benefits of the whole brown rice grain! Koshihikari is your typical Japanese style sushi rice, making it a fabulous alternative to regular white rice sushi. It has a natural sweetness and a firm yet creamy texture. The glycaemic index is relatively low in comparison to your regular white sushi rice, as this brown Koshihikari has a high amount of resistant starch meaning it’s broken down slowly which raises blood sugar levels at a steady rate. It is also suitable for risotto, rice puddings and as a healthy accompaniment for stews, stir-fries and curries. Click here to get yourself some.
- 100% wholegrain
- Healthy unsaturated fats are retained in the bran
- High in dietary fibre
- Rich in natural nutrients; B vitamins, zinc, phosphorus, Vitamin E, magnesium, potassium
- 8 essential amino acids
- Gluten Free
- Free from preservatives, additives and pesticides…No Nasties!
2 cups Organic Brown Koshihikari Rice
3 cups water
2 Tbsp Raw organic Apple cider vinigar
2 Tbsp Tamari sauce
1/2 cup sesame seeds
Fillings of your choice
- Place Organic Brown Koshihikari Rice in a large bowl and cover with water, add 1 Tbsp of Apple cider vinegar, stir and then cover. Leave over night to soak and ferment. For more info on soaking grains click here
- In the morning rinse rice thoroughly and cook rice as directed on the back of packet.
- Once rice is cooked, strain and then place into a large bowl.
- While the rice is still warm mix through 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar, 2 Tbsp tamari sauce and the sesame seeds. Then leave to cool.
- Once rice mixture is cool, lay nori sheet out, cover 1/2 the sheet with a thin layer of the yummy rice mixture. Layer on your favourite fillings (I used tuna and avocado).
- Roll the sheets very tightly with a sushi mat or without, what ever is easier for you. Keep rolling rolls until you have as many as you desire. This mixture makes lots.
- Use a very sharp wet knife to slice sushi and ENJOY!
This sushi is seriously amazing! I love the taste of the tamari and the little bit of crunch from the sesame seeds. LOVE IT! YUM!