I’M CHALLENGING YOU ALL TO A SUGAR-FREE SEPTEMBER! Can you do it? Of cause you can!!
As most of you know now, I am not a big fan of sugar… any more. Don’t get me wrong; I am definitely a sweets girl and that was my problem… I liked sweets way too much and I was a total sugar addict. I am talking; see a service station, pull over, buy a pack or 2 of lollies and eat the lot on the way to my next stop! I spent alot of time in my previous job dance teaching on the road travelling from school to school, class to class all day, every day of the week, so I needed energy and it was easy to do, easy to get the next sugar filled quick fix… Yes, it was grose! And I kept telling myself in my ignorance, “You can work off sugar but you can’t work off fat so sugar is the way to go”… But I didn’t stop at lollies; I’d have a piece of cake here and there, the odd biscuit, that half loaf of white bread, the list is endless and pretty disgusting. Then, my inspiring younger sister took on the refined sugar free world and she was so committed, reading every label and scanning every shelf… She did not let one bit of refined sugar enter her body. What happened? She looked amazing! She felt amazing! She had an enormous amount of energy! She was happy! She loved life!
So I thought… If she can do it, I can do it! So I did it! It was a bit of a slow process but once I had cut out all of the refined sugar in my life, the cravings disappeared. I could finally say no to that dreaded piece of cake, I finally felt good saying no. I have more energy than ever before, I lost weight and I feel amazing!
So why have I set up this challenge? As a recovering sugar addict, I know how good it feels being off sugar! I know that you guys can do it too! I want you to reap the benefits of living sugar free for 30 days. Its easier than you think, its all about power in numbers and the more people that we can get to commit to this challenge the more fun it will be. Sugar free doesn’t mean taking all the sweetness out of your life. It puts the sweetness back in, allows you to eat better wholesome foods and your body will let go of the cravings and kick start a new you! So heres the run down…
30 DAYS – NO REFINED SUGAR! – JUST REAL FOOD,
REAL ENERGY, REAL FUN!
To take part in our challenge:
- Join us on instagram (@chooselife_liveit_doit) or facebook;
- Post the above picture to your facebook or instagram… Share this with as many people as you can and get as many of your friends involved! You are committing to a huge group of people and yourself! It will be fun!
- Don’t eat any food containing refined sugar for 30 days starting at the beginning of September 2012.
- Post a refined-sugar free photo a day for each day of September from the list to instagram or facebook and hash tag #sugarfreeseptember so we can check out all the motivating sugar-free pics and keep focused.
- If you are having a hard day and need support or have a question please don’t hesitate to get on our facebook page www.facebook.com/chooselifeliveitdoit or email me; [email protected] … We are all here to support each other!
Why should you get involved?
- Because the Single Best Thing You Can Do For Your Health is to Stop Eating Sugar!!
- To clean up your diet!
- Improve your health!
- Cravings will be beaten in Force in a supportive environment!
- Drop a few kilo’s and get that that brilliant body for summer… Its coming in full heat!
- Pump up your energy levels and feel fabulous!
- You will sleep better!
- Get the glow back in your skin!
- The best way to get your kids to cut back on their sugar intake is to be a good role model by scaling back on your own sugar consumption.
TIPS AND TRICKS TO GETTING THROUGH 30 DAYS OF REFINED-SUGAR-FREE EATING:
It’s really not that hard, its all about substitutes and swapping for something different. You don’t have to go without sweet things.
- Begin Your Day With A Nourishing Breakfast.
- Combat Sugar Cravings With Exercise and nutritious real food. If you are meeting your bodies nutritional requirements then it wont crave the sweet quick fix.
- Stay Positive! You can do it! Lots of people already have, your next!
- DRINK WATER!!! Headaches can be common in the first few days as you are coming off something addictive. Accept how you are feeling, think of the good that you are doing for your body and drink through it.
- If you are having a hard day and need support or have a question please don’t hesitate to get on our facebook page www.facebook.com/chooselifeliveitdoit or email me; [email protected] … We are hear to support each other.
- Eat Full fat dairy products only, don’t be scared of fat. Your body needs it. Good food fats don’t make you fat… Sugar does!
- No processed food!
- No artificial sugars!
- Be careful of products that claim they are sugar free, they are usually pumped full of artificial sweeteners. These are more toxic to the body than sugar.
- Google around for sugar free recipes. There are so so so many on the internet now. So browse around and use them. Taste doesn’t have to be sacrificed because you are off sugar.
- If you are going to eat food from a packet; read the labels! Read the ingredients! If sugar is present the companies usually try to hide it by calling it another name. Words that end with “ose” you should usually asume it is a type of sugar. Here is a list of some of the possible code words for “sugar” that you might see on the label that you should definitely stay away from:
Corn Syrup, or corn syrup solids
Dehydrated came juice
Fruit Juice Concentrate
High fructose corn syrup
Sorghum or sorghum syrup
So I have told you what to stay away from, here is a list of alternatives…
is my sweetener of choice. It does have a very high fructose content and if you need to quit sugar all together for health reasons then I would recommend something different. But bees are amazing! Bee’s make the world go round; without bee’s there would be no life! Honey is a medicinal food. It is filled with amino acids and nutrients, and enzymes that actually help us to break down sugar and B complex vitamins. It is antibacterial and antiviral which is why it is known to kick off colds and flu’s and respiratory infections because it contains so many vitamins and minerals. It is a very powerful food that is packed with lots of good stuff! It can be used externally also to speed up the healing process of wounds and it has been linked with preventing cancer by hunting free radicals. Its increases calcium absorption, prevents anemia, helps arthritic joints when teamed up with apple cider vinegar, contains natural antibiotics, the list really goes on and on. All this talk about honey being so great, keep in mind it still caries quite a lot of natural forming fructose that will still raise your blood sugar levels so only use sparingly. Raw honey is to be only used in raw recipes; if you cook it, all the nutrients will go so you may as well have used table sugar!
When I talk about honey, I am not talking about the stuff in the supermarket… That is a no no! We want RAW unfiltered HONEY
. The honey that is in the supermarket has mostly been pasteurised; this means it is flash heated. When something is flash heated, it changes the enzymes and in honeys
case, turns it into pure adulterated refined sugar syrup. It is so sad how something so amazingly beneficial can be turned into such a useless item. Raw honey ideally has been taken straight from the beehive and into the jar… no messing around! Where do you find raw unadulterated honey? Look in your health food shop or local farmers market or you can purchase a great one from us by clicking here
. It’s not too hard to come by and when you do find it, always read the labels!!! Even if the label says organic it doesn’t mean it is raw.
FRUITS – Whole Raw and Stewed fruits make for great sweeteners! When you consume a piece of fruit it contains so many great nutrients that the body needs; All these vitamins, minerals and fibre help us to digest the sugars.
They are natural! They are sweet! They are whole! Use them where possible!
DATES – Oh how I love cooking with dates! Yes dates are a fruit also high in fructose but they are great because they are high in nutrients and packed with fibre. When you use dates you are using the whole food. Nothing refined. You are getting all the nutrients they provide to help digest the sugar at a slower rate… Organic Medjool dates are amazing and the only sort to buy. They are great to relieve constipation, as well as helping prevent cardiovascular disease. They are great to add to any desert, smoothies or as a sweet treat.
MAPLE SYRUP – Maple syrup is full of lots of beneficial minerals, like zinc for your immune system and magnesium for energy production. Beware though; most of the products being sold as maple syrup are chemical laden sugar syrup dressed up in disguise. Read the labels! Make sure it is the real deal. Real maple syrup is the sap gathered from the maple tree. Maple syrup also has high amounts of natural occurring sugars so only use sparingly.
STEVIA – Stevia
is the latest sugar free sweetener being talked about everywhere. In saying that it is not new, it is a very sweet herb native to South America with many health benefits that’s been around forever. It was originally used in medicines and has only recently been approved for everyday consumption. It is a great alternative to anything containing sugar for diabetics, Candida, or Cancer or your just worried about your blood sugar. It is super sweet, approximately 300 times sweeter than conventional sugar so you only need a very small amount. This herb has absolutely no effect on blood sugar. It comes in liquid, powder or pill form… If I use it I only use the liquid form. To make something into a white powder it has to be highly processed so try to stick with the liquid, you use less and it’s way sweeter. We sell a very pure Stevia
is our shop that you only need 3 drops to be as sweet as 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of stevia to be the same as 1 whole cup of sugar. Click here
to check it out. Stevia
has been shown to lower blood pressure, aid with gum disease and tooth decay. Increase energy levels and mental acuity. Digestive aid, and reduce gas stomach acidity. It is also known to contribute to Healing skin conditions including acne, tightens skin, improves wrinkles, dermatitis, eczema and scratches.
XYLITOL – Like stevia, xylitol does not feed Candida or cancer. It is a white crystal powder that can be used in tea, coffee, and to sweeten up your recipes but in too high doses it creates a laxative effect. Xylitol is a bit of a magic dust. It naturally forms in our bodies throughout our daily metabolism. It’s a naturally occurring carbohydrate in fibrous fruit and vegetables that your body does not require insulin to metabolise it. Unlike sugar, it is actually good for your teeth and if you read the back of a lot of natural toothpastes you will find it in the ingredients list. Xylitol is anti-microbial which means it prevents the growth of bacteria, unlike all other forms of sugar which cause the overgrowth of bacteria and fungi. Xylitol is a healer, not like sugar which causes damage. In saying this, xylitol should not be overused.
COCONUT SUGAR – Coconut sugar is another new one coming out in a lot of Raw chocolates. Coconut is a wonder food and coconut sugar has minimal effect on blood sugar levels. It is the evaporated nectar from the coconut.
BARLEY MALT SYRUP – Barley malt syrup is a natural sweetener that is derived from barley. It tends to cause lower spikes in glucose levels because it is made from complex carbs, this is gentle to the metabolism. It is not as sweet as sugar but can be a good alternative.
MOLASSES – Molasses is made from sugar cane or sugar beets. Molasses is processed in such a way that it retains its minerals and vitamins.
RAPADURA SUGAR – Organic Rapadura sugar is unrefined sugar. It can be found in your local health food or organic store. It is created by evaporating sugar cane juice and it is believed to still hold most of its nutrients as the molasses has not been removed like other table sugars.
AGAVE NECTAR – Oh Agave! Well, this has been one of the latest fads in the health food scene! We were all fooled, me included. We were all made out to believe it was the bee’s knees’ and the absolute best sugar alternative but now have been made aware that it is so highly processed that we may as well be using the evil high fructose corn syrup. It is made from the nectar of the Mexican agave plant and is a super sweet syrupy liquid a bit like honey consistency. The processing destroys all the health cred and diminishes all the nutrient value. It has just had far too much great marketing… So in short = STAY AWAY FROM IT!
ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS – STAY AWAY! That’s all I can say. Artificial sweeteners are an additive and a mixture of chemicals that are detrimental to the body. Your body doesn’t know how to digest this stuff…STEER CLEAR!
So what do you think? Are you up for the challenge??? I know you can do it!
CHOOSE LIFE, LIVE IT, DO IT!