Yesterday I celebrated my birthday! My husband and I had spent the previous night down stairs on the couch with our very emotional almost 2 year old awake on and off by the dreaded heat!!! To put it plainly, it was an awful night followed by a 4.30am wake up… What the hell??? Its my birthday! So it ended up being quite a miserable day of exhaustion! And whats worse than an over tired toddler??? … Yes an over tired, hormonal Pregnant mother!!!! But in between all the laying around my husband made me an amazing brekky of poached eggs on croissants with home made Bernaise sauce. SO YUMMY!!!!! And then later in the day… WE HAD CAKE!!! Not being very prepared I had very limited ingredients in the cupboard so this is what I came up with… Its so easy!
Lemon Maple Cream Cake
Is it healthy? Well, it is made with whole food, gluten free and refined sugar free ingredients but its not an eat-all-day-long cake. Its a treat and thats what birthdays should be… A big treat!!!
- 2 cups Rice Flour
- 4 free range organic eggs
- 1 cup Maple Syrup
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 300mills Fresh Cream (if you would like it to be dairy free you can use coconut cream, so yummy!)
- 1 Tbsp Raw Organic Honey
- Strawberries and Blueberries to make it look pretty!
- Preheat Oven to 180 Degrees
- Separate egg whites and yolks into 2 different Large bowls
- With an electric hand mixer whisk egg whites until white, fluffy and they make stiff peaks.
- In the other bowl, beat egg yolks and maple syrup for a few minutes and then add in lemon juice and beat some more until all combined and creamy.
- Sift the rice flour into the sweet yolk mixture, then mix until well combined.
- Slowly fold the white egg mix into the yolk bowl, be gentle but make sure everything is combined.
- Pour mixture into coconut oil greased cake pan and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Just stick a screwer in the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean then it is ready.
- Let cake cool.
- Once cake is cool and I mean totally cold, you can use a very sharp knife to cut it is half to make 2 layers.
- In a bowl, beat cream and honey until nice and fluffy!
- Layer cream on the top of the bottom layer, gently place the top layer back on. Layer the rest of the cream on the top and decorate with strawberries and blueberries. ENJOY!