Please tell us a bit about yourself and your Business. How did it all start?
I began Veggie Mama when I was a newspaper editor looking to branch into online writing. I thought it would be a portfolio, never a profit-making blog!
What do you offer as a mentor in your working mum mentoring sessions?
I offer help in the area of putting veggies in your diet a much more enjoyable experience! Whether you dabble in vegetarianism, are interested in Meatless Monday or just want to eat healthier, I’m your man.
What are your top 5 tips for any busy mum?
- Blend, blend, blend: Pack more nutrients into soups and sauces for pasta by whizzing anything you can get your hands on in a food processor. They’ll bring a ton of flavor but you’ll barely know they’re there.
- Eat a bigger breakfast: Forget about the toast and spread in the morning, and fry a chopped mushroom, onion, zucchini and tomato with a handful of spinach. Pop an egg or some feta on top. Save time in the morning by chopping a week’s worth of veggies on a Sunday night and having them ready to go each morning. Don’t just save a fry-up for the weekend!
- Have a Big Salad: Just like Seinfeld’s Elaine, get as much as you can onto your plate – clean out the fridge if you have to! There are lots of vegetables you can chop in advance, then add salad leaves, avocado, nuts, seeds and dressings at lunch time and you’ve got yourself a fast but veggie-packed lunch.
- Pop them in pikelets: Great for a snack, lunchboxes and even breakfast (and freezable so you can make a double-batch), grate some carrot and onion into a wholemeal pikelet mix and add chopped spinach, a handful of peas and some finely diced capsicum. A bit of tasty cheese goes well with these and they’re super-quick.
- Add more: If you buy lunch, have a container in the fridge of extras you can add: a handful of spinach or lettuce on your burger or wrap, spinach or kale in your soup, a can of corn, a container of cherry tomatoes. Nothing that needs cooking!
Do you have any advice or inspiration to send out to any of our readers that are thinking about starting their own business or doing more of something they love???
Just do it! Don’t put it off any longer. Good things come with time and hard work, and if you haven’t started, then you’re that much more behind the eight ball! And what you put out, you get back.
If you had half an hour to cook dinner and realised you didn’t have anything planned, what would you cook?
Burritos! A veggie bean mix, a fresh salsa and a bunch of chopped veggies on tortillas. Homemade if I’m lucky. Quick and easy, and everyone helps themselves.
What’s your favourite juice or smoothie?
I love anything with lemon, ginger and mint.
What is your favourite live by affirmation, mantra or quote?
Live and let live.
Lastly, anything you want to share with us about you or your business?
That it makes me happy every single day!