School holidays and all the snacks and food preparation that comes with it. It just never stops; I think I could count three breakfasts this morning before we even made it to 9am. I’m constantly in a juggle between appreciating that my kids love to eat and wanting them to JUST STOP ASKING. Haha, life as mother. Oh but it’s been fun, the kids are loving this super simple gluten free date loaf lately; it really easy to make, preparation can be less that 10 mins and it’s in the oven cooking. I like that we can put it in the fridge and then the kids can have a slice in the toaster the next day with some butter or other topping like peanut butter or fruit. Give it a go and let me know how you like it.
- 1 cup dried pitted dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1.5 cups buckwheat flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 eggs
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Into a bowl, place 1 cup of dried pitted dated and cover with the 1 cup of boiling water from the kettle. Let soak for at least half an hour.
- Into a high powered food processor, place all the ingredients including the soaked dates and water. Whizz until combined. In the Thermomix it only takes about 6-10 seconds. If you don't have a food processor, that's ok, just mix it all well in a bowl and your dates with be chunky.
- Pour straight into a silicon loaf baking dish or a lined loaf tin and put into the oven.
- Bake for 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow to cool in the baking dish for 10 minutes and then allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve with butter. Keep in in an air tight container in the fridge, its tasty sliced and heated in the toaster too. Enjoy.