Being a mum, I am all about easy meals lately. When I get super tired or just busy with after school activities I like to have dinner made ahead of time, either at lunch time or a premed freezer meal. This way we aren’t reaching for a roast chook at the shops on the way home or raiding the chicken coop in the dark for some eggs on toast (there is nothing wrong with this sometimes though mums!). Thats real life with lots of kids that do lots of activities. Time is poor and nutrition can at times, suffer.
Since going grain free (again) myself just over 5 weeks ago, I’ve been keeping things really simple and mixing together lots of basic different things at last minute to fill the meal. I love zucchini slice, I never had it as a kid so it’s a new find for me, don’t get me started on the very first one that I tried at a mothers group a couple of years ago oozing with cheese and deliciousness. I just couldn’t stop eating it. hah! But now, trying to focus on losing the baby weight and getting my health back on track, I thought I’d try my best at a grain free version that ticks all the boxes and tastes really great. The bacon in this one gives it so much flavour but if you are a vego or just don’t like bacon, feel free to leave it out. If you can’t live without cheese, you can also sprinkle some on top before cooking, although I don’t feel like it needs it.
I’d love you to try it and let me know what you think. It’s a winner in our house and everyone that’s tried it has been very satisfied too. 😉
Enjoy, Cass x
- 1 cup bacon, diced.
- 700g grated zucchini (about 3 medium).
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 8 eggs, whisked.
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- Pinch salt + pepper.
- Sprinkle of dried oregano (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice the bacon up and cook in a medium heat pan until its cooked well. We like ours crispy.
- Grate the zucchini and place into a mixing bowl with the diced onion, whisked eggs, almond meal and salt + pepper. Mix together well.
- Add the bacon when ready and stir so its well combined.
- Pour mixture into the lined baking tray and sprinkle with the oregano if using and then pop into the oven for 45 minutes or until cooked through. You can stick a skewer into the centre and if it comes out clean, its done.
- Leave to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. You can enjoy this hot or cold. Its fantastic served with salad for dinner or cold in your lunch box.
- It will keep well for 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge our you can cut into portion sizes and freeze individually for an easy lunch option on the go.